Nutritionist Brittany Gordon shares a tasty snack idea for your kids’ school lunches.
Chocolate Sunflower Energy Bars
1/3 cup sunflower seed butter (melted)
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Rice Krispies-type cereal
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
28 grams dark chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand to keep it nut safe)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine melted sunflower butter, maple syrup, ginger and ground cinnamon until well combined. Then gently fold in the rice cereal and sunflower seeds.
2. Line an 8 x 8 casserole dish with parchment paper making sure the parchment comes up and over the sides to make it easy to pull out later.
3. Press the rice cereal mixture into the prepared dish. To keep your hands clean, place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on top and press down to even out the mix. Be sure to really press down to make sure the mixture sticks together.
4. Put your dark chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for no more than 30 seconds at a time, until the chocolate has melted. Using a spoon drizzle chocolate all over the top of the Rice Krispies mixture, get creative with it.
5. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, then slice into 6 bars.
Pro tip: Double the batch and save yourself snack prep for a couple of weeks. These delicious bars will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge or two months in the freezer. Serves six.
As posted on CBC.ca